|O Scale Current Projects|
|Updated: October 26, 2015|
|Home||Videos||Memberships||Our Layouts||Layout News||Special
Below are a few highlights of our current activities. You can find additional semi-annual progress and pictures in the Progress and Pictures section.
Santa Fe Western
- Essentially all track has been completed on the SFW. There is now (2015) over 2450 ft. of hand laid mainline trackage plus 2450 ft. of yard trackage adn over 106 turnouts. A Couple industry spur tracks have been added near the Departure PowerPlant and in the Eureak yard (2015). Track has been added to the Midway division to allow Midway operators to loop trains (2015). An additional loop track will be added in 2016.
- We have been working for several years on the massive Mt. Heller mountain at the south end of the layout. Most of the rock castings are in place and color and vegation are currently (2015-16) being applied.
- The Midway steam engine terminal was built during the 2006 winter shutdown. There are four lead tracks for engine servicing plus a three stall roundhouse with room for an additional five stalls. The turntable for the Midway engine terminal was installed (Summer 2007) along with the control panel for the engine terminal. The automatic track selector wiring to the three-stall round house is complete and operational. Most of the engine terminal track-work has been completed and wired. Ten additional storage tracks are available, plus room for five additional roundhouse tracks. The diesel engine facility is still in the planning stage.
Midway Block 5 double track
- In 2010, we double tracked Block 5 which allows much better traffic flow between Midway and Arrival and Departure Divisions.
Arrival and Departure Yard Leads Rebuild
- Rebuilt the Departure east lead with #8 turnouts for smoother operation.(2006).
- The Arrival yard leads need to be rebuilt using #8 turnouts for smoother operation. During Winter 2011, we rebuilt the Arrival West lead.
Plans for diesel terminal have been completed. The diesel terminal will replace the original and connect to the Midway engine terminal and turntable. Diesel yard and a small two track industrial area completed in April 2011.
Electrical and Signals
- All the control panels have been rebuilt with up to date schematics and LED's turnout indicators (2002-2005).
- DCC is now available for train control in the Arrival, Departure and Midway divisions(2010-2015). Also for O Scale Computer Interface-OSCI, the entire system was installed on a newer PC and it now auto starts and shuts down from Departure panel. A DCC 10amp booster was added for the Midway division(2014). A backup PC was aslo added in 2015.
- Since OSCI is able to control all signals with JMRI, we have been adding DCC signal controllers to replace the Integrated Signal Inc. signal controllers. The ISS controllers were difficult to wire program for some of out complicated turnout situations. With OSCI-JMRI all the signal logic is built in and extremely easy to program special situations. The entire signal system has now been converted(2015). Along the mainlines, we continue to add additional infra red train detection for improved dispatcher control.
- Pt. Richmond passenger yard is in operation. This stub ended terminal requires passenger trains to back in, much like many passenger terminals on the prototype. We have full remote control of the yard from our Arrival Panel with video cameras to assist.
- On the Pt Richmond city area, we have added street pavement and additional buildings(2013). We are planning to add structure, street, and auto lighting (2015-16).
Oakland, Antioch&Eastern Traction
- Traction loop near Antioch Junction is nearing operation for overhead operation. The remainder of the layout is now 2 rail ready (2011). The Churchill yard area is now fully wired and turnouts powered (2014).
Eureka and Empire On3 Narrow Gauge
- On the Eureka and Empire On3 layout, several new buildings have been added at the Eureka yard. There are two sidings which interface E&E with SFW which have remote control from either Eureka or Passenger yard panels. Those sidings, plus those at Churchill will add to our future way freight switching possibilities. Eureka yard area is also receiving more scenic work, ground covers, road work, and vegetation (2014-2015).
If you are interested in learning how to become an O Scale member of the East Bay Model Engineer's Society click here.
|[an error occurred while processing this directive] Previous Page / O Scale / GSMRM Home|
|Comments to O Scale Trainmaster||© 2018 by GSMRM|